Golden Gate Bridge approach,
North Bay projects get funding
By Jason Bennert, Bay City News Service
February 28, 2007
SAN FRANCISCO (BCN) - The California Transportation Commission
today dedicated $405 million in state highway funds to Doyle Drive,
the San Francisco approach to the Golden Gate Bridge.
Earlier this week, the project had been left off the list of
projects recommended by CTC staff for Proposition 1B funds. However,
after a strenuous lobbying campaign by San Francisco's state legislators
and local elected officials, Caltrans Director Will Kempton committed
to funding the Doyle Drive project with money from a state fund
dedicated to roadway safety improvements, the State Highway Operation
and Protection Program, according to Assemblyman Mark Leno, D-San
"I am greatly relieved that Director Kempton and Caltrans
are supporting funding for the replacement of the seismically
unsafe and dangerous Doyle Drive connector that was literally
designed for the Model T,'' Leno said in a statement. "The
$405 million combined with funding from a local sales tax passed
by San Francisco voters in 2003 and anticipated federal funding
would put us well on our way to having a median-divided Doyle
Drive designed for modern traffic flow.''
Doyle Drive was built in 1936 and has received a very poor safety
rating from the Federal Highway Administration, according to Leno's
"Doyle Drive is a vital regional link utilized by over 100,000
commuters every day. I am pleased that the California Transportation
Committee has approved the funds needed to rebuild this facility
and ensure its seismic safety,'' San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom
said in a statement.
The CTC also allocated funding for a pair of North Bay projects
that were not on an earlier list of recommended projects: $20
million for improvements to the westbound Interstate Highway 580
and U.S. Highway 101 interchange in Marin County and $82 million
to fund part of the Novato Narrows project, according to state
Sen. Carole Migden, D-San Francisco.
"San Francisco and North Bay residents, taxpayers and commuters
are the winners today,'' Migden said. "We were tenacious
in our undeterred advocacy to bring this $500 million in funding
home and it's a victory our constituents deserve after tolerating
years of congestion.''
The CTC allocated approximately $1.3 billion of the $4.5 billion
in available Proposition 1B funds to Bay Area projects. The Doyle
Drive improvements will be funded by a different source and are
not included in that total.
Copyright © 2007 by Bay City News, Inc. -- Republication,
Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent
of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.